Kempinski Group is focusing on international expansion: Europe’s oldest luxury hotel chain expects to have more than 100 luxury hotels in operation around the globe by 2021.
In the next 12 months alone, 10 new hotels with a total of 2,108 rooms and suites will open their doors; three will be located in the Caribbean and one hotel each in Tel Aviv, Tbilisi, Bangkok, Guangzhou, Brazzaville, Almaty and New York—a first for the 122-year-old company. The New York property will be a 7 Pines Kempinski “ultra-luxury lifestyle concept” hotel in partnership with 12.18 Investment Management. A further seven hotels with 2,404 rooms are under construction.
Kempinski Group says its expansion will not only be based on management contracts but the acquisition of hotel properties, as well. It adds that properties that may be extensively renovated and repositioned under one of the group’s brands will be favored. To date, Kempinski is purely a hotel operator (only the the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski in Munich is owned by the company).
Hotels set to open by the end of 2020 include:
- Cabrits Resort & Spa Kempinski Dominica—160 rooms (Opening 2019)
- Cayo Guillermo Resort Kempinski Cuba—245 rooms (Opening 2019)
- Gran Hotel Bristol, Havana, Cuba—162 rooms (Opening 2019)
- Sindhorn Kempinski Hotel Bangkok & The Residences, Thailand—280 rooms and 225 apartments (Opening 2020)
- The David Kempinski Tel Aviv—250 rooms (Opening 2020)
- Kempinski Hotel Tbilisi, Georgia—95 rooms (Opening 2020)
- Kempinski Residences Guangzhou, China—261 rooms (Opening 2020)
- Kempinski Hotel Almaty, Kazakhstan—200 rooms (Opening 2020)
- Kempinski Hotel Brazzaville, Republic of Congo—178 rooms (Opening 2020)
- 7 Pines Kempinski Manhattan, New York – 147 rooms (Opening 2020)
The following seven hotels are under construction and don’t yet have scheduled opening dates:
- Kempinski Hotel Jinan, China—300 rooms
- Kempinski Hotel Haikou, China—280 rooms
- Kempinski Hotel Kuala Lumpur at 8 Conlay, Malaysia—560 rooms
- Kempinski Hotel Medina, Saudi Arabia—309 rooms
- Kempinski Hotel Makkah, Saudi Arabia—380 rooms
- Kempinski Hotel Business Bay Dubai, United Arab Emirates—276 rooms
- Rafal Sky Gardens managed by Kempinski Riyadh, Saudi Arabia—299 rooms
Twenty additional hotels are on tap and are slated to open by 2022.